The free 12-week program offers small class sizes to provide personal attention to each of the participants. LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA fills an important community need by supporting the increasing number of cancer survivors, who are in a transitional period between completing their treatments and feeling physically and emotionally strong enough to return regular activity. Often, cancer treatments leave patients deconditioned and/or chronically fatigued, which is why this program is designed to empower survivors to regain their health.
LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA is:
- Free, 12-week Y membership for the survivor and their family
- Two 75 minute classes each week
- Small group setting (1:6 instructor ratio)
- Full access to YMCA facilities, including Childwatch child care services
- Designed for adults who are undergoing or who have completed their cancer treatment
- Improve energy levels and self-esteem
- Build muscle mass and strength
- Increase flexibility and endurance
- Improve functional ability to do everyday tasks
- Reduce the severity of therapy side-effects and prevent unwanted weight changes
- Develop an ongoing physical fitness program so participants can continue to practice a healthy lifestyle, not only as a part of recovery, but as a way of life
Our instructors provide a supportive, safe environment for each class. Our certified instructors and personal trainers have undergone specialized training in the elements of cancer, post-rehab exercise, nutrition, and supportive cancer care.
Criterion For Participation
- Strong personal desire to enroll in the program
- Personally commit to attending all classes
- Consult with their physician prior to joining the program
- Permit Y Wellness Staff to call their physician or person giving treatment when necessary
- Obtain medical referral and waiver
- Complete YMCA paperwork and screening questionnaire
STAYSTRONG at the YMCA
This exercise program is for LIVESTRONG® at the YMCA alumni so that they may catch up with former classmates at no cost! You’ll continue the physical activity component and experience new options and opportunities at each class.